|Network Ops makes sure that ECN’s premier products and services always work and are always fast. We serve as an example of how a distributed, multiple- data center operation should function. This provides an opportunity both to learn and to teach, but most of all to feel good about work that matters. As a team, we want to work with people who like to get things done.
ECN is a rapidly growing entrepreneurial company – we are lean and agile, so as the new person you must be able to roll up your sleeves and dive deep into code, configurations, networking, operating systems, and storage, while still keeping an eye on the big picture. You must know the difference between working fast and working smart, but can do both when the need arises. This position requires a technical leader and motivator who is comfortable working with a small, talented engineering team in a high-pressure, dynamic and global environment.
As the ideal candidate for this role, you will be managing multiple production services and the teams which develop and operate them. You are team-oriented and a fast learner who combines excellent judgment with networking and troubleshooting skills. You dream in bash but are also fluent in other languages such as Perl and Python. You know how to get a Java app server running from download in under twenty minutes. You can also contribute to a database discussion without irritating the DBAs.
Job responsibilities include:
- Defining the network environments, operating systems, tools, and other resources used in customer facing production environments running production applications
- Working with the customer interfacing teams to determine project feasibility, effort, cost, and implementation time lines
- Deployment and automation of customer facing and internal use applications in the production environments
- Deployment, monitoring and maintenance of servers and applications in customer facing production environments
- Developing and improving existing monitoring solutions, recommended and validated new monitoring solutions
- Maintaining and configuring VPN configurations and access controls across production environments
- Developing applications and automation for internal teams use for frequently requested tasks
- Responding to emergency production concerns and providing solutions and insight for resolution
- Sharing responsibility as the highest level of escalation for QA and customer support teams
- Helping define, implement and track best practice guidelines and configurations in areas such as high availability and security
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
- Expert Linux knowledge of RedHat, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu Server
- Proficient in VMWare vSphere and ESXi clustering
- Experience with the deployment of Linux based applications in a “five 9s” SaaS environment
- Strong understanding of security concepts including but not limited to firewalls, encryption VPN, ACL, identity management, and hardening
- Experience with deployment and configuration of monitoring systems (Nagios, Cacti, etc.)
- Experience implementing security best practices in production environments
- TCP/IP networking knowledge including addressing, sub-netting, routing, and troubleshooting techniques
- Experience working with AWS and other cloud services for production software and services
- Experience with modern server deployment techniques including templates, images, kick starting, and configuration management systems, continuous deployment, etc.
- Experience and knowledge of DNS configuration and best practices
- Proficiency with scripting and programming languages such as bash, python, perl, etc
- No-SQL database server deployment and management (Cassandra, mongodb)
- SQL database experience with Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Systems/Network Engineer or similar role in a high traffic production SaaS environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate technical topics to non-technical audiences
- Positive attitude and user support oriented, willingness to teach and advise on technical issues
- Ability to take ownership of projects and follow through to completion while supporting other members of your team
- Willingness to work occasional long hour days and weekends when necessary, recommend and work towards improvements to reduce extra hours
- Self-motivated and goal oriented
- Desire to learn new technologies to share and build knowledge with the teams
- Ability to problem solve on complex IT topics and take initiative to recommend and implement solutions
- Ability to prioritize and multitask projects and tasks to meet department goals and deadlines
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life and additional supplemental insurance
- Paid time off and personal days
- Paid holidays
- Cellular discount plan
Emergency Communications Network is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by law.
ECN expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law.
Are you ready to join the team? Click here to apply online.